Top 5 Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents happen when a motor vehicle strikes a pedestrian, and serious injuries, or in some cases death, occurs. Tragically, pedestrian accidents are a common occurrence throughout the state of California, with thousands of people suffering from injuries and emotional trauma each year. There are several factors that can lead to a pedestrian accident with the most common being:
- Electronics Usage: When drivers or pedestrians are texting, listening to music, or talking on the phone, their inattentiveness can lead to accidents. These kind of distractions are one of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents.
- Impaired Driving: Drivers under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol are unable to respond to sudden changes as quickly as sober drivers. For this reason, impaired driving can lead to serious accidents and in many cases pedestrian fatalities.
- Poorly Marked Crosswalks: When crosswalks are unmarked or poorly marked, it can be hard for drivers to know that pedestrians will be crossing. This is especially true for busy intersections and crosswalks on poorly lit streets.
- Left-Hand Turns: Drivers making left-hand turns and pedestrians crossing the street are generally looking in opposite directions, which frequently leads to pedestrian accidents. In fact, left-hand turn accidents are three times more likely to occur than right-hand turn accidents.
- Hybrid Cars: There has also been an increase in pedestrian accidents due to more people owning battery-powered and hybrid vehicles. These types of cars are quieter than other automobiles, so pedestrians are less likely to hear them approaching.
Have you or a member of your family been injured in a pedestrian accident? Reach out to the law office of Brian Brandt to request your free consultation. We are here to here to fight for justice on your behalf.